Friday, January 1, 2010

entry!

Emily B. Cahoon

The chapter on Cook was surprisingly humorous, which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed the way the author paralleled his experiences with Cook's experience. I was stunned there was such a vivid and detailed account of Cook's landing on New Zealand. Also, I was surprised that when he pointed his "walking stick" and killed one of the natives, that they did not react more negatively. That is usually the start of a battle between natives and explorers. I was also surprised that Cook took the initiative when interacting with the natives. He would lay down his weapon before approaching a warrior, very courageous. I was impressed he strived to make friendships with the natives.
I am shocked how many incidents from Cook's arrival have been documented and celebrated or recognized. For example the first witnessing of the haka which is now a ritual of the country's rugby team, they perform it prior to every match. Their current culture seems fascinating and it's interesting to read how the Maori view the Pakeha and visa versa. I look forward to experiencing first hand how they interact.
For my own experience I am exceedingly excited to see a different part of the world; I have only heard positive and wonderful things about the country. I love to meet new people and I hope that I can pick up some of the language and maybe even bring home a few of the slang words! I want to try different foods and investigate the biology found along the coast and do some hiking! I very much look forward to experiencing the Tongariro Crossing.
I hope to see as many volcanoes as possible during the trip. I want to explore the inside and outside of every volcano I can get my hands on! I am positive that traveling to New Zealand to study geology will only amplify my zeal and dedication for the field of volcanology, my concentration. I am ecstatic to see active volcanics and learn more about the geological history of New Zealand. Last but not least, I of course cannot wait to see all the sheep and discover what kinds of life the coasts thrive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment